Saturday, July 16, 2011

Things I'm lovin' - New Hampshire

Ok let's be real its not like I just happen to be lovin' NH right now. It has and always will be my absolute favorite place ever. My mom grew up in New England and just happened to have some really cool parents who decided to buy a vacation house on Lake Winnipesaukee. Yes, after all these years (23 to be exact) of visiting the lake I still had to google the spelling, sorry Mom. Let's not talk about that. So as I was saying, my grandparents had several different vacation houses on Lake Winnepesaukee throughout my mom's childhood, but when she was in college they finally found a winner and have kept this house since the 70's. While the house itself is old, kind of musty, and probably in need of some new decor, but nobody really cares because it holds so much sentimental value, not to mention that it sits on one of the best lakeside lots in the area. Although I may be biased. Anyway, every summer we venture up to NH for at least 5-7 days of relaxing by the lake, swimming, canoeing, eating way too much pie and ice cream and, if we can wake up early and feel motivated, a hike in the surrounding area.

Sometimes we go a little early in the summer. For those of you who have never been there the summer starts in July, seriously. June is still known to be rainy, cold, and not anywhere near ideal swimming conditions. Last year we had to take vacation in early June because Nick and I needed to be in Houston by July. I don't think anyone really cared, but I know it took a lot of contemplating before jumping in the lake. Fortunately, aside from the chilly lake temps, we had beautiful weather and were able to stay for about 2 weeks. 

I don't know if the pictures will do it justice but maybe this will give everyone an idea of why this is my favorite place. 



The house is sort of a barn style. And the yard is shady and covered with pine needles.



And there are plenty of places to just sit down, relax, and just look out at the lake and the mountains in the background.


Last year Nick and I arrived early and went for a 3 day backpacking trip with Willow.

We camped in the woods on the side of a cliff, which had particularly chilly, but breathtaking sunrises. 


We also spent the next day hiking above the tree line.


Willow was amazing. She stayed with us the entire time, was always alert, and never stopped hiking. She proceeded to sleep for the next 2 days straight after we got home.


My family is always down for a day hike, and we usually have plenty of good weather to take advantage of. 



Unfortunately this crazy dog won't be joining us this year. Nick and I figured it would be a little too traumatic to have her fly. Oh and it costs about $400, no thanks. She will be missed but I have a feeling she will have lots of fun hanging out with a certain dog and cat here in Houston. 

It's been increasingly difficult for my family to coordinate vacations so that we can all get a chance to go up there but we still find a way to make it happen every year. On Friday, around 3am we will finally be arriving for a brief trip. We'll all be exhausted but it will be worth it to wake up and see this the next morning (or afternoon): 





1 comment:

  1. Take me with you? Then you can come to MA with me the week after. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete