Sunday, July 31, 2011

Snuggle Dog




It's pretty clear by now to pretty much everyone that I love dogs. One dog in particular, but also all dogs. I was inspired to write this post after I walked by the window today and saw Willow sitting under a tree in the backyard, waiting for squirrels. She's crazy. 

About 2 weeks after Nick and I started dating we went camping in Georgia. There was a sweet black lab that was timid and wouldn't approach people but he would stand across from our campsite and stare at us until we gave him food. After that we could not stop talking about how we wanted a dog, especially when we dropped food on the floor and felt too lazy to pick it up. Eventually I couldn't stand it anymore and was browsing Craigslist one day and found a 6 month old black lab mix who was being given away for free. Yes, it sounds sketchy which is why I made Nick call them. I happened to have a week off from clinicals so the next morning at 9am I was standing in the parking lot of my apartment complex with two crazy, backwoods, redneck people from Palatka. The owners were not very impressive but they seemed nice and genuine enough and the dog was so sweet. Nick told me that its best to get a dog thats smart, fast, and capable of catching frisbees. I told him that its best to get a dog thats cute and snuggly. Anyone who has met Willow knows who won that argument. She'd rather tear a frisbee to shreds and then go lie down on my bed and be loved, but I'm pretty sure Nick is more than ok with that. 

Look at that little baby



After having Willow for a day I decided I needed to break the news to my parents. I called and told them that Nick got a dog and she was just staying with me for the first week because I didn't have to be at school. They saw right through that and were not happy at all. Three days later they met Willow and the conversation never came up again. Now they spoil her and send her stuffed animals that she mutilates in the backyard within minutes. 

She may seem vicious when she's barking at squirrels or tearing the stuffing out of pretty much anything but she's actually really sweet. Just last night I got sent home early from work because we didn't have enough patients. I arrived home at 1:30 am. I unlocked the door and expected Willow to start barking, instead there was silence. I opened the bedroom door and watched as she stretched her head up from my bed, yawned, and wagged her tail, waiting for me to approach and give her a belly rub. Such a good guard dog. The best experience ever is coming home to Willow after 12 hours of work, which, for her means 12 hours of sleeping on the couch. Her tail wagging is out of control, she always yawns and makes loud, obnoxious, high pitched sounds,  and walks under my legs at least 5 times before walking to the back door to go outside and investigate all the sounds she heard outside overnight. I highly recommend witnessing this ritual, its adorable. I also highly recommend getting a dog in general. They love to love you, they're always entertaining, they snuggle, and you can talk to them when you're alone for long periods of time and not feel like you're talking to yourself (not that I do that very often or anything). 

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you can dress them up during the holidays.



I also recommend that you watch this video. It's a day in the life of the Willowdog. 

I also forgot to mention that Willow has about 5 million nicknames. This includes: Willowdog, Littledog, Babydog, Willowface, Crazyface Angelface, Dogface, Animal, Willowhead, Dogbutt, Crazydog, and the list goes on. 

I know that most of this information is old news to everyone but I couldn't not have a blog post dedicated to my doggie. Also I'm very excited because one Willow's best friends is coming in a few days. She and Lia will be reunited and there will be a lot of this going on: 



Yup, I definitely found the perfect snuggle dog. 



No comments:

Post a Comment