Saturday, September 24, 2011

Funky Fall Decor


Most of you are already aware that i absolutely love the fall season. I always dreamed of living somewhere that had a legit season change every fall, but then I moved to Texas. Regardless, I love the change in weather, because summer in both Texas and Florida is rough. Fortunately my good friend MC shares my sentiments regarding fall. Remember when she did this awesome guest post? Well now she has offered another guest post about her other specialty, fall decor! I'm excited. She's is one of the craftiest and most creative people I know, she just has an eye for those things. I do not which is why I'll stick to baking. So everyone pay close attention to what she has to say because this is probably the only worthwhile decorating post you will ever see on my blog. Plus she's also just really funny, or at least I think so, which is probably why we are friends. And for some strange reason she thinks I'm funny too. 

And when you're done please go to the nearest Michael's/Hobby Lobby and decorate for fall, it'll make you a happier person. 


............

Ok everyone. It may only be September 21st, and I may be a resident of the great ole non-seasonal state of Florida, but I have a slight, alright major, obsession with fall. Once September 1st rolls around, not only is crisper, cooler weather on the horizon, but it is also time for the pumpkin craze, Halloween, boots, sweaters, Gator football – the whole shabang! How could this NOT be your favorite time of year? That said, Meghan and I have taken our obsessions to the next level and are sharing them via blog post for the whole world to see. Meghan, nurse by night / baker by day, has written a blog post on baking fall goodies and embarking on fall adventures, while I have chosen to write about Halloween and fall décor.

During my time in college, I never really decorated for the holidays – not even Christmas! I don’t know if it was the fact that I was a starving college student, or that I felt like the home that should decorated was my parents’ house, or what. I just don’t know. What I DO know, is now that I have my own place and bit more money, I can’t stop thinking of ways to decorate – especially for the upcoming holidays. I’ve been trying to find two things: 1) cheap decorations that I can craft myself and 2) autumn decorations that can span September through November. And, lemme tell ya, with Pinterest, that is definitely NOT a problem. Let’s start off with the crafty side of this year’s fall décor. What I’ve seen a lot of and fully intend to create are fall wreaths. I have seen so many different varieties of these things, I can’t even begin to go into all of the options, but here are a few that I think are super cute and pretty doable:



In addition these to these Halloween-inspired wreaths, another way to be cheap and crafty this season is to work with pumpkins! Pumpkins are obviously the staple of Fall, Halloween, October, Thanksgiving etc and we must take full advantage of them. Here are a few simple, yet totally clever ways to use pumpkins to spruce up your place, autumn-style: 

Pumpkin Bowl
Perfect for that Halloween-themed dinner party you're planning or for when you're just having a few friends over for drinks. All you need to do is carve out a pumpkin and place a bowl in the center, and voila! You've got yourself one fine serving dish. 


Pumpkin Votives
This is the perfect way to use all those cute little pumpkins you see everywhere. All you need are a few baby pumpkins and some tea candles. Again, carve out a place in the center of the pumpkin and place the tea candle in the center. This is a cheap, easy way to get that cozy, fall look!


Painted Pumpkins
By the looks of things (or I may have just been way out of the loop in past years), painted pumpkins are all the rage this season. I've seen pumpkins painted like candy corns, gold spray painted pumpkins, pumpkins painted with chalkboard paint and then written on, I mean, seriously...what hasn't been thought of? the great thing about painting pumpkins is that you can tailor it to your space-have crazy colored walls? Paint your pumpkin the complimenting color. Want to keep a classy, elegant look around the house? Paint your pumpkins gold, or silver...or even white! The options are endless. 


Using Pumpkins in...umm...unusual places?
Like on top of a candle holder, per say. This is one crafty piece of decor I HAVE tackled- and it turned out awesomely. All I did was buy three different sized candle holders at Ikea, and some fall "berry" branches at Target to wrap around the base of the holders, on which the baby pumpkins will be placed. Super easy. Super cozy. The perfect fall decoration. 

You will see below that there are actually candles on top of my candle holders- well, sadly (and embarrassingly) I have searched for baby pumpkins and they are no where to be found- YET. As soon as I find some, they will replace those candles...or I may keep one candle just to keep that spooky feeling alive. We'll see. Mix and match as desired. Add as many candle holders as you want. Get creative with the base decorations! Fall "berries" are not the only option. 


Finally, I'd like to leave you with some Halloween/Fall/Autumn/Thanksgiving interior decor inspiration photos: 


The orange flowers and orange pumpkins against the black backdrop make this the perfect Halloween table setting!


If only I had a front porch like this!


For all of you with fireplaces and mantles!


Love those black flowers mixed with the pumpkins


If you have a million wine bottle, why not? Uber spooky.

Alright folks, that's all I have for you today. Meghan and I, of course will be collaborating in the future because we're just awesome like that and have the same weird obsessions. Like, our next post will probs be all about Garden State...or LOTR elves...or something totally riveting like that. Who knows. But you'll definitely want to stay tuned. 

Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment