Friday, June 10, 2011

Night Owl

I love kids, babies, puppies, pretty much anything cute, but what girl doesn't? So considering how much fun children can be it would seem that pediatric nursing would be the best job ever, right? How wonderful to spend 12 hours holding and feeding sweet little babies and actually getting paid for it. Fortunately there are nights where that is exactly what I do. However, I think people can often be confused when they think about what it takes to be a pedi nurse. For example there are the countless 13-17 year olds I care for who overdosed on tylenol, various antidepressants, benadryl, etc. There are also the 6 year olds who are diagnosed with borderline personality or bipolar disorder. Seriously, how is that possible? They’re only 6! And my personal favorite was my severely malnourished 15 year old, who was OCD, and compulsively did backbends and back flips, over, and over, and over. If you’re wondering, yes, it is really difficult to eat more and gain weight when you won’t stop doing back bends. 

As crazy as it gets sometimes I’m still so so happy to not have to care for adults. If had to deal with dementia patients or the absolute worst thing ever: bedpans (bleh) I think I would hate my job. I prefer my little people, thank you very much. Even if I sometimes have to stick needles in them at 4am and make them hate me : ( Its always worth it to go back into work and see a kid start getting better and actually start acting like a kid again, because that is, after all, the reason that I enjoy working with those little people.  

 And speaking of nursing here’s another thing people don’t realize; how much night shifts mess you up. Yes, I wake up around noon most days, and yes, most nights I go to sleep around 2am. My sleeping schedule is actually worse than when I was in college. I am not much of a real person, obviously. So what do I do to keep myself occupied when the rest of the world is sleeping?

Well there’s the internet, duh

There’s also baking

And more baking

And then eating what I baked



Then, Workouts because I baked waaayyy too much

And the most recent addition (whenever it arrives) will be hundreds of new books at my finger tips, or so they say. 

Currently it is just after 2 am in Houston and I'm not tired, oops. Fortunately I have benadyl. Yeah, I know, I'm not really much of a role model nurse. 

1 comment:

  1. You're the best Meghan! I could never do what you do! And also, thank you for being an awesome baker, even though it means you have to work out more :) what books did you order??

    ReplyDelete